Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Grandma Rose's Fabulous French Bread

This is one of those great old-fashioned French bread recipes.  I've seen many variations of it around the internet, but I think my Grandma Rose's is pitch perfect.  You can top it with poppy seeds or sesame seeds or just leave it alone.  It is absolutely wonderful -- one of those recipes I make over and over again and am always asked for the recipe.  I always know it will be a hit.  I've made it and used it for a big warm sandwich wrapped in foil, as a nice side to a salad or soup, I bet it would be awesome as bread bowls.  I'll have to try that sometime.  Eating this bread connects me to my grandmother, too, which makes it even more special.

Grandma Rose's Fabulous French Bread
2 1/2 c. very warm water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. oil
6 c. flour
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast

Into a large bowl, pour warm water then stir in sugar, sal, & oil, half the flour, and yeast.  Beat vigorously 2-3 minutes.  Stir in remaining flour until all dry ingredients are completely mixed in (you may have to add extra flour till it reaches the tacky, not sticky, cleans the side of the bowl stage) then leave the spoon right in the heavy batter. (I use a KitchenAid and leave the dough hook down in the dough).
Let dough rest another 10 minutes, then stir down.  Repeat this process until dough has been stirred down 5 times.
Turn dough onto floured board.  Knead only enough to coat dough with flour so it can be handled.  Divide in 2 parts, roll into rectangle about 9x12".  Roll up jelly roll style.  Arrange lengthwise on large cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal, allowing room for both loaves.  Cover lightly and let rise 30 minutes.
Cut diagonal gashes - 5 on top - with a sharp knife (I do this before they rise).  Brush entire surface with lightly beaten whole eggs.  If desired, sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
Bake immediately at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove and cool on racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment