Friday, November 4, 2011

Pumpkin Soup

This was really creamy and savory.  A great fall soup.

Pumpkin Soup

6 cups chicken stock 
1 1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups pumpkin puree
1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley (I used 1 Tbsp. dried)
1 cup chopped onion (I used 1/4 cup dehydrated onion)
1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (I used 2 tsp. dried)
1 clove garlic, minced (I used 2-3 cloves -I always add extra garlic- and just sliced it)
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream (I used 1/2 c. 2% evaporated milk)
5 whole black peppercorns

Heat stock, salt, pumpkin, onion, thyme, garlic, & peppercorns (basically everything but the cream).  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
Puree the soup in small batches (1 cup at a time) using a food processor or blender. (I used my immersion blender and just pureed it all at once right in the pot).
Return to pan, and bring to a boil again.  Reduce heat to low, and simmer for another 30 minutes, uncovered (I only let it simmer for another 10 minutes because it was getting late for dinner).  Stir in heavy cream (I my case, evaporated milk).  Pour into soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley (omitted that part, of course).

This serves 6 and claims to be just 92 calories per serving, although I haven't double checked that.  It does seem reasonable, though, considering the ingredients.
It was a tasty soup and all my children ate it willingly.  Recipe courtesy of Lea Ogawa, www.allrecipes.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment